Calligram

 



     Using Adobe Illustrator, I made a calligram of a Converse shoe. I used an image from the web as a template to trace the outline of the shoe. I used the type, type on path, and area type tools for the lettering. I also used the pen tool to form the silhouette of the shoe, the ellipse and star tools, and the paintbrush tool to make the shadow and shoelaces appear more opaque. I used a simple sans-serif font and added a stroke to the text to fill in more negative space. This project was somewhat challenging because I had never used Adobe Illustrator before. It took about 4 hours to complete.

    The text of the calligram consists of a letter I wrote to my future self, and its message correlates with the image. The letter begins by asking my future self where my feet are (hence the shoe); in other words, asking where I will be upon reading the letter in 20 years. I tend to lead with my heart, and my feet follow. No matter where I plant my shoes in the future, I know they'll be there for a reason. I chose to illustrate a Converse shoe because that is what I tend to wear often.

Letter:

Dear future self,

    Look down and see your two feet; they've carried you father than they've carried me. At this moment, where are they? Take a look around you. Stop and smell the roses like mom once told us to do. Can you hear the birds? Not everyone is lucky enough to hear and appreciate their song; take a moment and listen to them. On your skin, do you feel the sun? If not, walk outside, soak in its unceasing light, and be grateful for your life. Spend the night out and enjoy your favorite food—savor every moment.

    Your entire childhood, you yearned to be an adult, breathlessly awaiting the rite of passage that would award you the wisdom, deference, and approval for which you strived. Now that you're older, I'm assuming all you long for are the innocently carefree times of play and lack of obligations that childhood afforded you. Life is a marathon, not a sprint; you're not running it to "win." Be kind to yourself. Be a mess occasionally. Let go of all your mistakes. The lessons you learn and the experiences you have are divinely destined, so embrace each one of them and trust that you'll be O.K.

    ENJOY ALL OF IT. Stop worrying so much because you will have ample time to do whatever you love. When you're stressed, you miss the beauty of the simple things. Be present. Live in the moment. Hug your parents. Call them to genuinely see how they're doing. The nicest feeling in the world is the inexplicable experience of genuine understanding and connection. Money is merely a number. It arrives and departs. The only currency that truly matters is love.

    Life is a gift, so make the most of every moment because tomorrow is never promised. Here's to the many more places our feet and heart will carry us.

Comments

Popular Posts